Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Back In The Swing of Things...Finally

It certainly has been an interesting couple of weeks!  This probably has been one of the hardest school openings I've ever experienced, even harder than the year I went to a brand new school, and we weren't ready on Labor Day to open, though the students came anyway the next day!

Coming back on Wednesday and finding all of my things missing, at least the important stuff, was really hard to take.  Luckily, I've retrieved most of my stuff.  I've lost things of sentimental value, I've lost student work, I've lost a binder or two, but I've got most of my teaching "debris" back.  Mrs. Cook and I spent a good portion of our first days back looking for stuff.  I am so happy that she found her bronzed cowboy boot which is her pencil holder on her desk.  The boot has sentimental value for her, and something like that just cannot be replaced.

Just look at the scene below.  This is just one of the many places where we searched for our beloved stuff.  Unbelievable and overwhelming!

The Old Clover Hill High School Gym


Imagine searching through rooms like this with boxes.  We found a lot of our stuff in boxes labeled "library" or "home ec".  One day, all I found was a post-it note that I had written on the last week of school in June.  It was in a random box.  Weird.



Luckily, you all came back to school, and believe it or not, things seemed a bit more normal as we began our daily teaching.  When my seventh graders arrived on the first day of school, it was great to see familiar faces from last year!  Something that I knew!   I look forward to a great year with both of my grades.  Hopefully you will enjoy your year as a Venturer in 6th grade or a Navigator in 7th grade.  
The picture below shows my 7th grade class working on tower structures of states.  The towers were built according to geographic region.  These students won the competition by having the tallest structure.  They've earned bonus points on their states and capitals test coming up next week!!!

Cameron, Isabell, Patrick, Joey, and Zach are victorious!

No comments:

Post a Comment