Search This Blog

Sunday, June 19, 2011

The First Sunday of Vacation

Hello all...
It is Sunday afternoon and I am so thankful that we don't have school tomorrow.  I came home on Friday afternoon not feeling so well, and by Saturday morning my nose was running, my head was aching..etc.  I think I have a cold or maybe some allergic reaction to the piles of dust in my classroom.  As I was packing up on Friday afternoon, the dust was flying through the air, so maybe that is part of it too, as I'm allergic to dust and I have asthma too.  I have had a pretty healthy year this year, and I guess it's time to get a case of the sniffles.

I am still not feeling so hot today, so I guess it is good that there is no school tomorrow.  Thank you so much for the wonderful gift card that was delivered to my room on Friday.  Words cannot express my appreciation for your tremendous generosity.  I think I'll use it to buy a few things for my trip to the South Pacific this summer. 

Today, I downloaded the imovie I made for the celebration on Thursday night to my apple account.  You can access this account by clicking on "VENTURER MOVIE" below.  There you will go to the gallery where you will have the option to download the movie to your computer.  I think it will take a while, since it is a 24 minute movie.  I hope you all enjoyed seeing yourselves on the big screen.  I had fun making it, and I think I'll do another one next year for my new batch of sixth graders.

VENTURER MOVIE

I also managed to remember to bring home some of the Civil War movies you made and I've posted a few.  If yours isn't posted, don't feel left out...I just did three to give a cross section of what you did.  I will upload some more later in the week. 

The first video is deep.  It is amazing.  I have shown all of my classes, but I still am going to post it because it is worth watching again.  I showed it to my daughter who just turned 15 on Friday, and she was impressed.  For those of you who haven't seen it, the dialogue in the background is the dialogue from the play that Abraham Lincoln was watching when he was shot by John Wilkes Booth.


The second video I am posting has the famous scene that I mentioned in my comments at the celebration on Thursday night.  The part where a southern lady gets upset when her husband is killed in battle...but not upset for the reasons you think...


The third video is one that I just got in on Friday due to technical difficulties, so I know a lot of you did not get a chance to see it.  This video depicts Sherman's march to the sea.  Remember the cheesy video I showed you in class where the woman screamed when her house was being burned?  This student made video uses that scene as a springboard to their depiction of this event.  I think this one is better than the "professional" one we watched in class!


Enjoy tonight...I always enjoy the first Sunday night of summer vacation....Sunday nights are my favorite times of summer because there is no alarm clock that will go off tomorrow morning, even though I'll be up early, as I never sleep past six.

Take care,
Mr. McEwen

5 comments:

  1. Gee, we had such a great year! So many inside jokes have been born just from all of the fun stuff we get to do as Venturers. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter!
    Great to hear from you. I hope your summer is going well...
    I've actually been kind of restless...it is weird not having any school work to do. It usually takes me a week just to wind down.
    Keep in touch..
    ~Mr. McEwen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just needed to watch Isabel one more time it really made my day. Thanks for the laughs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I've watched it again for the laughs too...hope you are having a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My class is watching me type this right now.
    It is a class of 11. Yes 11

    ReplyDelete